When the great Nick Hornby was still writing for The Believer, he scoffed (good naturedly?) at the idea that we should read books because "we're supposed to" or because they're classics or because other people talk about them, and we want to join in the conversation. I believe his opinion was something along the lines of: forcing yourself to read a book when you don't want to just because you think you should be reading it is not only unpleasant, but you don't actually get that much out of it anyway.
I find myself sort of trapped in the middle ground of the two arguments Hornby represented in that piece: need to finish Ulysses for school; don't want to do it because it's summer; will most assuredly not have time in the fall.
I am very, very tempted, à la the Nick Hornby school of reading, to put U down again to get to all the fun stuff I've been stockpiling. I'm just afraid I won't pick it back up...
***
In other news, I'm back from Pennsylvania with new running shoes and fresh laundry. Home is beautiful as always, but getting slightly more depressed as the recession kicks in. Saw both sisters--one is pulling more money as a waitress than I might this whole summer, the other is fresh back from Penland, where she made and sold some fantastic pieces for charity. She's really settling into her own as an artist, I think.
***
As promised, some summer music suggestions:
For running and other frantic activities, including driving:
Passion Pit, Manners
Columbia (2009)
With particular favorite tracks being "Moth's Wings" and "Little Secrets."
Miike Snow, Miike Snow
Downtown (2009)
The single, "Animal," may still be my favorite track off the album, which fizzes in and out of a solid listen.
For all-around good pop sensibility:
Dirty Projectors, Bitte Orca
Domino (2009)
Amazing.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, It's Blitz!
Interscope (2009)
Still one of my favorite bands. A departure from the (for whatever personal reason/disposition) earth-shattering Show Your Bones, but still solid.
For best new Beirut/Arcade Fire hybrid and/or lost-at-birth sibling:
Fanfarlo, Reservoir
self-released (2009)
Category says it all. Still enjoyable.
For writing endeavors:
Elvis Perkins, Ash Wednesday
XL (2007)
Dear god, please skip "May Day," if you know what's good for you.
Jeff Hanson, Madam Owl
Kill Rock Stars (2008)
Poor Jeff Hanson. Hopefully in Dead Rock Stars heaven.
For running and other frantic activities, including driving:
Passion Pit, MannersColumbia (2009)
With particular favorite tracks being "Moth's Wings" and "Little Secrets."
Miike Snow, Miike SnowDowntown (2009)
The single, "Animal," may still be my favorite track off the album, which fizzes in and out of a solid listen.
For all-around good pop sensibility:
Dirty Projectors, Bitte OrcaDomino (2009)
Amazing.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, It's Blitz!Interscope (2009)
Still one of my favorite bands. A departure from the (for whatever personal reason/disposition) earth-shattering Show Your Bones, but still solid.
For best new Beirut/Arcade Fire hybrid and/or lost-at-birth sibling:
Fanfarlo, Reservoirself-released (2009)
Category says it all. Still enjoyable.
For writing endeavors:
Elvis Perkins, Ash WednesdayXL (2007)
Dear god, please skip "May Day," if you know what's good for you.
Jeff Hanson, Madam OwlKill Rock Stars (2008)
Poor Jeff Hanson. Hopefully in Dead Rock Stars heaven.
Oh, what's wrong with "May Day"? Is it just a bit jarring compared to the rest of the album? have you listened to the new album? Question mark after question mark? ?
ReplyDeleteDang girl, how are you buying all of this music?
ReplyDeleteAlso, happy bday!!!!!
Also, I am having a hard time reading anything halfway scholastic...instead I'm reading gossip girl and Harry potter…...........