05 December 2009

Worried about climate change? Try "Glee" on for size!

Winter finally showed up with some snow.  While everyone else rejoiced over the warm weather, I've been having end-of-the-world horror-fantasies about melting ice caps.  Which I have sublimated by watching every available episode of "Glee" online.


I don't know what it is about "Glee" that is so addictive; the combination of an emotional teenage pregnancy, a self-assuredly gay character being embraced by his grease-coveralled father, and, you know, five or six pop song performances per episode is almost too much to resist.  Especially for an old musical theater hat like myself.  I really was as jazzed as those characters to be on a stage singing for people about emotions I barely understood at the time (I once played a jaded 40-year-old drunk hung up on her best friend, watching his marriage disintegrate.  Not sure how that worked out from an audience perspective.).  There's something cathartic in the whole thing, I suppose.

"Glee" is not without its faults, though. There's a fantastic critique of the show's ridiculous plotlines over at NPR's "Monkey See, Monkey Do," calling Fox out for forcing Schue to act like a base-line idiot about his wife's faked pregnancy.  Someone could probably also write a similarly critical article about roles of gender and sexuality in the show, but we'll start with that fake elephant.


Because I'm coming up on two weeks of crazy, I'm posting a video that will have to make it until I have time off again.


Happy snow.  Happy holding on.

1 comment:

  1. Yes yes yes! I LOVE Glee! It somehow manages to be snarky, clever, and uplifting--all at the same time. I hope your semester is ending well :)

    ReplyDelete