Reading The Annotated Brothers Grimm, I've been captivated by the turn-of-the-century illustrations for the tales, many of which I've never actually seen before. Above, one of the most provocative, by Arthur Rackham (1909): in an attempt to find and rescue her brothers, cursed and turned into ravens, a young girl cuts off her finger and sticks it into a keyhole in order to gain entry to the Glass Mountain, where her brothers now live.
I've also been reading The Paris Review Interviews (vol. III), specifically an interview with Joyce Carol Oates, which ended up to be especially helpful today. Since Oates writes enough material for the entirety of contemporary literature, I thought reading her might provide some insight into my problems with plot. No magical insights into how she produces so damn much, but she did make me think about writing, no excuses, even if I have to cut off my finger to access the story:
INTERVIEWER
--from Joyce Carol Oates, "The Art of Fiction," The Paris Review Interviews, III, p. 173.Right, right. ShThFuUpAnWoOnYoNo.

No comments:
Post a Comment