11 May 2010

"Does poetry matter?" Duh.

Well, this is distressing.  A recent blog post at the New York Times book blog, Paper Cuts, poses the question: does poetry even matter?  As evidence of poetry's diminishing importance: an article in Poetry about the need for more political poetry and a comment from David Foster Wallace about how American poetry will gain more readers when it addresses a more "common" readership (Really, DFW?  If you were alive, and most days I remember to wish you were, I'd email you about this.).

True.  People don't read poetry.  It doesn't sell.  DFW's "common man" gets frustrated and scared off by line breaks and unusual vocabulary.  Teenagers are horrified by Romeo & Juliet every year in freshman English classes across the country.

Yet the kind of question asked in Paper Cuts risks essentializing broader cultural values to the elitism of contemporary poetry on one hand and rampant American anti-intellectualism on the other.  To my mind, you can shelve poetry along with all of the other elements of American society that are deeply undervalued: the arts, education, independent businesses, access to public works and health services, good television...

The fact that someone can take a question like "Does poetry matter?" under serious consideration means that, as a culture, we're really just in the terrible habit of devaluing what it means to create something (which is ironic, considering that more people than ever consider themselves writers, even though our literacy rates are plummeting).  We value loudness and immediacy.  We value the material.  We value our way or the highway.  We value speak English this isn't Mexico.  We're not patient enough to listen, to make ourselves uncomfortable, to ask questions.



Poetry, and, to my mind, all good art--literary, visual, auditory, hybrid!--should make us confused and full of wonder and want to respond.  This requires listening, quiet, openness, an ability to do something productive with unease.  Which, I can understand, is a pretty difficult state of mind to achieve when The Hills are on in the background (okay, that was a pot shot).

Maybe what's really been happening (what's happened in the 20th century more generally) is that poetry is no longer a genre for mass reproduction or mass consumption.  I think this is one of many reasons poetry gets called elitist: it's for the few instead of the "democratic" many (what a great farce: capitalism as democracy).  We could really talk lots more about elitist literature and what that means, but I'm going to keep going.

Contemporary poetry is written for a smaller audience, a more particular audience, a more privileged audience.  I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with this.  The relative smallness or largeness of a writing community can become problematic when artists become too insular and stop seeking new ways to understand and to explore, but that's a different kind of problem.  An audience, more generally, has to be taught to value something (kind of through osmosis--I think of values as etherial, social, inherited), or has to feel the spark of recognition that fires when humans encounter something beautiful.

It makes sense to me, then, that given the state of things, the audience for most poetry is largely other poets or other writers.  And it's relevant because we can't help writing and responding to other writers, to other art, to the world around us.  Poetry is one of many available forms in which to express this response, but it's not going to pay the bills because it doesn't hold any value in the capitalist model of American letters.  But there are other models.  I'm thinking of all the small presses out there, letterpressing beautiful chapbooks and stitching them by hand, sometimes giving their objects away, mostly just trying to cover the costs of printing.  Then there's all the new litmags cropping up online with fancy web design and a devoted cadre of followers checking out their free content.

Maybe poetry will be relevant to a larger audience somewhere down the road.  Maybe it won't.  Most likely it won't.  But I don't think that means the form is no longer culturally relevant.  When American poets stop writing poems for one another, for whoever will read them, for themselves--that's when you can say something's different, something's passing on, over and done with.

4 comments:

  1. I tried hard and failed to like poetry for several years before it finally started to feel like fun instead of work. If you don't understand at least one of the themes (or if it has one, the story that's hiding them) in a poem it's no fun to read. The sensation is of being invited to look at puzzle without the promise that, if you're stuck, someone will help you find the solution - in fact, that there's any solution at all. It's pure frustration.

    It depends the curriculum but I seriously do think even highschoolers would benefit from access to initially 'easy' poetry. We give them easy reading. We spell shit out. It doesn't have to be cheap or stupid - give them something that rhymes so that they can begin to comprehend meter (seriously, how can they be expected to figure out something complicated when they can't even feel out a limerick?). Give them something that hints at a feeling they'd recognize, felt before a hundred times, not love or the quiet of the depth of the forest or a deep deep loss that maybe they're lucky enough to have avoided so far.

    I am a huge proponent of comedy. The Greeks were into it. They had their tragedies but had a comedy for every one - I would go there, first, if I was trying to teach somebody. Then the hidden little undercurrents, instead of emotional barbs (which are great) become clever insults, puns, etc. Easier to spot. Entertaining. And then when you can WRITE that kind of thing, yourself, (and this is totally where poetry stands to be the most relevant politically, IMHO) you're standing on a path that might let you read some of the heavy shit we throw at poor undereducated kids.

    I don't know if this plan would actually work, but if I had kids, it's the route I'd go. I hated the flute when it was first thrown at me, you know. But it was handed to me in a different way years later and now I love it. Poetry is fine, I think. Fine and good and useful if you have it and know what you can use it for. But you hand it off the way we do, sometimes, and man, it's no wonder to me the way (good, smart!) people wrinkle their noses and turn away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Soph--Your ideas about education and literature are honest and insightful. I could write reams about what it would mean to "fix" secondary school literature curriculums--including infusing English classes with different, more challenging material that encourages curiosity and inquiry. I balked at DFW's comment because, well, he *didn't* write for the common man, and quite pointedly, so I found his statement ironic and hypocritical. This is not to say I think poetry shouldn't be read by a wider audience, whether or not it was written with "accessible" language. Certainly poems can be frustrating. But I don't think we value perplexity in American culture, which is part of the reason poems aren't read--there's this stigma that they're difficult to understand and so not worth spending the time on. Shifting this attitude early on, making art fun and about response but also encouraging states of doubt or uncertainty in interpretation as *good* critical states, would make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mostly I agree - obviously I don't want us to dumb down our cool poems. Or our cool poets. I wish there was more intermediate-level poetry, I don't even know how to find it.

    But you are right re: critical thinking. Stupidly they wait until high school to teach this, and it's barely brought up except by science teachers. I took a class almost entirely devoted to poetry in high school and the nebulousness of everything the teacher said was insanely frustrating. You need a half-inch of ground to stand on before you can start thinking critically about a work. And I think it requires harder language than some folks are willing to use - there's a lot of wishy-washy interpretative type stuff in there. It might be nice to have some poetry written for the sake of teaching, so we could have some genuine right and wrong, because it's hard to hear 'be critical' and 'there's no right or wrong interpretation'. Sure, we don't see that as much in real work, but I think one of the many reasons poetry gets so much shit is that (supposedly) it's totally up to youuuu to interpret it, there's no right or wroooong, how does it make you feeeel, etc.

    I love abstract art. Like, a canvas that's basically all blue. This is the only area I can think of that gets more wishy-washy points than poetry, at least when it's taught. Professor X says we hate what we don't understand - I am just rambling, at this point, but my brain remembers being a kid and being totally 100% fed up with poetry and abstract art. It wasn't the fields themselves, though, it was the teachers. People loooove fiction; I bet they could love poetry. Even hard-ish poetry. The majority of us read light fiction and a bunch read heavier stuff. The same proportion could be expected to read heavier poetry, I think. If I had to point a finger at the most-at-fault party, it wouldn't be our capitalist nation (books sell, somehow) or even our love of TV (books sell and they are long), I'd point at our schools. Something goes wrong in there. It's nerd-cool to read big fat books at a tender age - it should be to read tough poetry, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poetry matters. Art matters. Music matters. Whether or not it has a price tag on it, it matters. How boring would this world be without Shakespeare or Mozart? Or any of the less famous artists? Don't listen to that article - poetry/art/music is what makes the world beautiful and full of emotion. Let him and the other Type-A personalities run the world and we artists will make it joyous and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete