Yum.
I've been reading Nancy Milford's biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay, Savage Beauty, and wish that I had ten ounces of Vincent's confidence--the woman was never afraid to do or say anything, and she pretty much did whatever she wanted, charming everyone who breathed within ten feet of her. Which only sounds like an exaggeration.
I mean, come on.
In other news, there's nothing like a rainy day and a timely re-read of a Zadie Smith essay to make you realize you were going about everything absolutely wrong in your novel. So now to try a new tack--starting with too many chili-lime cashews and heading straight for hacking apart the first 20 pages or so of my book and re-making them.
With any luck, I'll be able to put the bookmark I made for the awesome residency program at Millay's New York home, Steepletop, to good use one day. Until then, forward! And some flowers, too.

No comments:
Post a Comment