14 August 2010

Gratuitous Pictures of Cake, etc.

In my quest for the perfect workout music, I rediscovered the late 90s and early Aughts, which right now means that if I had a band I would only be singing covers of Fall Out Boy (deal with it) and some Jimmy Eat World and, I dunno, The Killers, probably.  My Younger Self from college is cringing, despite the fact that Present Self is having a blast.

Mostly I've been doing a lot of reading and bingeing on television shows when I'm not slaving away at the restaurant to support my debilitating book habit, which I have tried extra hard to keep in check this summer.  You would think that free books from the library and recycled books from used book stores would sound appealing to a grad student on a tight budget, but no.  I itch for new things, all the time, and I can't help it.  Soon soon I should be getting review copies (I hope), which gives me little cartwheels of happiness.  Cartwheels!

I made it a goal to start reading more non-fiction, especially science-y non-fiction, so I've been reading Rebecca Skloot's The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which is such an impressive mix of biology and ethnography and investigative journalism.  Of course, I still have a soft spot for huge nerdy tomes about the origins of ideas, culture, & modernity, so I've been reading Peter Watson's The German Genius and Christine Stansell's American Moderns, too.  Both are way more fun and interesting than they sound, I swear.  On the poetry front, I read Ben Lerner's new book, Mean Free Path, and I like it so much I want to take a bath in it.  Or steal it from the library.  Which I won't, but I'm definitely not ready to give it back yet.  I love in a very different way Amanda Nadleberg's Isa The Truck Named Isadore, which I'm reading for the first time in its entirety.  She was long-listed for the Ruth Lilly Prize this year, which is pretty awesome.

All my projects are coming along at a snail's pace.  Turns out the longer thing I've been working on all summer has segued into a rather complicated story (who knew?) and so not that long at all and kind of a side project in the end.  One day I swear all the loose bolts rattling around in my head will make a book instead of morphing into other things.

Only a few more days left of writing and finishing up half-read books before I head south on the train for a week of sun and Thomas Jefferson theme rides.  Though the air is starting to feel so lovely in Massachusetts--at nights it almost feels like fall is here.

And now!  Your promised pictures of cake:


(Hot Milk Sponge Cake with Vanilla Custard and Dark Chocolate Icing=Boston Creme Pie, YUM.)


(So this is a tart, but you know.  Peaches and Plums.  No Pears.)


No comments:

Post a Comment